- Year 1 – My Body, Materials, Plants
- Year 2 – Animals inc Humans, Materials, Plants
- Year 3 – Rocks, Food, Our Bodies, Light, Magnets, Plants
- Year 4 – Sound, Electricity, Living Things, States of Matter, Teeth and Eating
- Year 5 – Forces, Changes in Materials, Circle of Life, Growing Up and Growing Old, Earth and Space
- Year 6 – Staying Alive, Light, Evolution, Classification, Electricity
The National Curriculum for Science aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics
- develop an understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them
- are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future
At Charles Dickens, we use the Rising Stars Switched on Science scheme to support the teaching and learning of science. This embeds the working scientifically requirements into each topic so that in addition to the core knowledge and vocabulary, children are developing skills of observation, investigation and fair testing, classification, data handling.
Each unit is supported by a Knowledge Organiser which details the key facts, vocabulary and skills for each unit. This is sent home in advance of the unit, allowing children to make a head start on their learning.